Specs that change into shades when they are in the sunlight are called transition glasses or photochromic lenses. The lens system of transition glasses can be made of glass, plastic, and polycarbonate.
The glasses are produced with transition lenses that allow them to trigger, or darken when taken to the UV light. The larger the concentration of UV rays, the darker the lenses get. When taken away from the UV light, the lens system can darken back to pure lenses instantly. And the UV obstructions remain max at 100%. Subsequently, the molecules are coated, they are not visible to the UV light all at once, hence in low levels of UV light some molecules retain their original form
Advantages and disadvantages of the photochromic lenses
Photochromic lenses have always been around for a year. A long time ago, all transition lenses were produced of glass only and they came with only one color which was grey. But over the years photochromic glasses are in all colors and shapes and can be acquired anywhere like the Optical Center UK. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using this type of lens
1. Advantages of using transition lenses
- They are reliable-you can use these sunglasses in all conditions, both within or outside the house ;
- They offer a UV shield. This helps protect your eyes even when you move to a sunny environment ;
- They won’t get misplaced as easily. You and your family are less likely to lose sunglasses ;
- They are available in a lot of varieties of styles and colors and can encounter the treatment requirements of a lot of individuals ;
- They are cheap in maintenance compared to other glasses. You may not require to buy treatment glasses and prescription glasses too.
2. Disadvantages of transition lenses
- They dim and lighten to changing degrees according to the brand. Some lenses also take more time than others to change to brightness. Debate your wants and decisions with an optician ;
- These lenses can take more time to change in cold climates ;
- They won’t dim inside cars. Vehicle glass has its own UV shield, which can stop photochromic lenses from working inside a car.
They respond only to only UV light and are accessible in two diverse colors, brown and grey. both lenses work precisely similar and the decision of color is a matter of preference. Nevertheless, in their state, photochromic lenses deliver 100% guard from both UVA and UVB rays.
A lot of current cars’ windshields are designed to block ultraviolet light. Hence, normal photochromic lenses do not blacken fully when used inside an automobile. windshield lenses are a moderately current progression that remedies this problem. these types of lenses will answer to both UV and noticeable light so they do not dim inside a car windshield. transition lenses are always companionable with anti-reflective layers and are accessible in almost every trivial lens material and design. They are accessible in equally prescription and non-prescription modes, and in a diversity of the field applications