Marie Mason, 54, developed an infection in her left eye after a parasite found in tap water got between her contact lens and her cornea. His vision unfortunately deteriorated. Several unsuccessful operations led her to have her eye removed. “I don’t want anyone else to have to go through this,” she told The Sun. The 50-year-old calls for better warnings about the risks associated with wearing contact lenses. She reports that the first symptom that marked her was a feeling of discomfort between her eye and her lens, as if there was something stuck.
Marie went to an optician, who immediately took her to the hospital. The doctors then discovered that she had acanthamoeba keratitis. This parasitic infection affects one in 50,000 contact lens wearers. The parasite eats away at the cornea, causing severe pain and, sometimes, blindness. Marie wore contact lenses for 30 days. She explained that she keeps them on when showering. The parasite being present in the water, the doctors concluded that it was by showering with her lenses that she triggered the infection. Five years of taking medication and a series of unsuccessful operations, including three corneal transplants, could do nothing to save his eye.
A parasitic infection caused by wearing contact lenses
Marie Mason now has an implant. “I had to quit my job. I worked in a school kitchen, and I had to put on eye drops every half hour. “, she confided to our colleagues across the Channel. “I also had to go to the hospital two to three times a week, and sometimes even more,” she added. The daily life of the fifties has radically changed. Instead of going back to her old job, she now assists her husband Jonathan with all the administrative tasks related to his business. Furthermore, Marie no longer has the opportunity to drive a car. However, the mother of the family remains positive. She assures that this change is different, but nevertheless “pleasant”.