A terrible end of life… This week, Viviane Rodrigues, a 20-year-old mother, did her laundry at her home in Juazeiro, in northeastern Brazil. The young woman suffered a fatal electric shock when she put her hand in the washing machine thinking her cycle was over. Investigators in the case said she suffered a severe shock while trying to retrieve her clothes. Her husband immediately took her to the emergency room of the local hospital. Sadly, Viviane Rodrigues – mother of a nine-month-old son – was pronounced dead on arrival. Following an autopsy, his body was transported to the rural community of Gameleira do Di, in the municipality of Campo Formoso, where his family lives. Thursday, June 16, 2022, she was buried in Gameleira do Di.

This is not the only washing machine tragedy that has been reported in recent years. A year earlier, a young child died after being found in the device that had been turned on. A spokesman said officers had been made aware of an incident in Christchurch, New Zealand. It said: “One person was injured and taken to hospital where he later died. Police are investigating the circumstances of the death.” The potential dangers of washing machines and children have been widely reported. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been at least three deaths of children aged five and under since 2014, due to washing machines. 3000 people would also have gone to the emergency room because of their device.

Why a child should not be left near a washing machine

In a statement, the non-profit group Consumer Reports recalled: “It is essential that parents explain to their young children that the devices are not toys and that they can be dangerous. It is equally important to point out any potential danger to anyone supervising your children while you are away.” Finally, it was added: “Remember that young children are at a stage of development that makes them particularly curious.”

Viviane Rodrigues © Newsflash

viviane-rodrigues.jpg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.