Prince William was forced to cancel his visit to BAFTA after the death of his grandfather, Prince Philip. This hard ordeal for the royal family certainly saved him from finding himself in a very bad position during the 74th awards ceremony for British cinema. As president of the academy, Prince William had not been made aware of a sexual harassment scandal in connection with one of the actors awarded this year.
Noel Clarke, the black Star Trek actor, received a trophy on April 11 for his “exceptional British contribution” to cinema. In the process, the Duke of Cambridge was supposed to praise the academy for its efforts in terms of diversity. Last year he strongly criticized the BAFTAs on this, saying minorities should be more rewarded.
The 45-year-old British actor and producer, who also stars in the Doctor Who series, is facing charges of harassment and sexual assault. The daily The Guardian reported Thursday April 29 that twenty women were victims, between 2004 and 2019, of sexual harassment and touching on the part of Noel Clarke. Allegations that the actor “vehemently denies”.
In a lengthy statement posted on its site, the academy said: “As soon as The Guardian released firsthand accounts yesterday, we immediately suspended Noel Clarke’s award and BAFTA membership until further notice. order”. But according to the Sunday Times, BAFTA leaders were told of the charges against the actor many days before the ceremony. Actresses saying they were “very concerned” by the situation reportedly wrote them a letter to warn them on March 29. Information that reached Prince William’s ears only at the end of April.
Prince William. © Agency