This is unheard of ! While Prince Harry has always kept those commitments, he canceled a key fundraising event for the Invictus Games after signing a new deal with streaming giant Netflix. The scintillating music and comedy show was scheduled to be held in California in June 2021 and aired on Amazon. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were planning to make speeches during the event. This fundraiser, which organizers hoped would raise at least £ 1million for the Invictus Games Foundation, likely took place at the Hollywood Bowl. Beyoncé and Ed Sheeran were among the stars nominated to perform at the event.
Foundation officials were said to have been “stunned” after a lawyer for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle informed them they would not be moving forward with the event last week. According to a Sunday Times report, the lawyer cited a “conflict” with another streaming service. Indeed, by signing with Netflix, Prince William’s brother could no longer participate in an event broadcast on Amazon Prime Video. Upon hearing the news, a source involved in planning the event told the UK magazine: “This is very bad news and everyone at Invictus is disgusted.” Indeed, it is a new blow for the multisport competition for wounded and disabled soldiers and war veterans which has been postponed until 2021 due to the global pandemic.
“The Duke remains more than ever attached to the Invictus Games”
Since his withdrawal from the royal family, Prince Harry has struggled to find his way. As he canceled the event, a source added: “Harry said yes to that last year and everything was moving forward until a few weeks ago. It was going to be a big moment for Invictus. where the jar is quite empty, and that left them in a bind. Harry has to find another way to raise money for them. ” While the concert was reportedly put on hold due to the global pandemic, the source explained, “The Duke remains more attached to the Invictus Games than ever.”
Prince Harry © AGENCY