The Duke of York’s name has been appearing regularly in the prostitution ring business of his friend, Jeffrey Epstein, for several years. On August 9, the situation even took a new turn since a certain Virginia Giuffre filed a complaint against Prince Andrew, accusing the latter of having sexually assaulted her three times when she was 17 years old. The woman, now 38, had already made accusations – without filing a complaint – against the son of Elizabeth II, but the latter has always denied outright. In an interview with the BBC in 2019, Prince Andrew even went so far as to say that he had “no memory of any meeting with Miss Giuffre”, and had questioned the authenticity of the famous photo. showing him in the company of Virginia Giuffre and Ghislaine Maxwell, the accomplice of Jeffrey Epstein, now incarcerated. The interview, deemed “catastrophic” by the press, pushed Prince Andrew’s lawyers to adopt a new strategy, namely to remain silent. A source close to the Duke of York, interviewed by The Sun, gave news of the latter, entrenched at Balmoral Castle. “He is cheerful and relaxed at Balmoral (…) His lawyers have advised him to stay calm, to live on and to follow their advice.” After the 2019 fiasco, the prince’s team sees fit “to say as little as possible”, the source confides.
Prince Andrew: when does his trial start?
It is therefore confident and peaceful that the Duke of York is enjoying the end of summer under the Scottish sun. He should remain silent until the first hearing of the trial, scheduled for September 13, during which “he will respond if the law requires it, as he has always said,” said his friend.
Prince Andrew, Duke of York © Agency