Benjamin Mendy’s trial continues in England. Accused of seven rapes across the Channel, the former Manchester City footballer unveiled his defense before the court this Thursday, October 27. Jurors were able to hear several statements he made to investigators during his incarceration. In the four sets of statements prepared and transmitted to the police by the player’s lawyers, Benjamin Mendy categorically denied four rapes of which he is accused. He notably responded to a 24-year-old woman who claims to have been raped three times at her home in Cheshire in October 2020 by the footballer. Benjamin Mendy says he asked for this young woman’s cell phone to delete a video from her home.
“She gave me her phone and I deleted it. At the same time a picture of her without clothes appeared on the screen. She said she had other pictures of her like that and we agreed to go up to my room so that she could show me more, told Benjamin Mendy. (…) I am shocked to be accused of rape and forcible confinement. Any sexual activity between her and me was completely consensual.” The footballer also responded to another accusation of rape made by a woman he allegedly abused while she was asleep. “She wasn’t sleeping, she had been drinking and was a little drunk but she knew what she was doing and voluntarily agreed to sleep with me. I didn’t want to have sex with her when she was on her period,” says ex-Manchester City defender.
Benjamin Mendy talks about “consensual” relationships
“The next day, I got up and went to training. I did not rape (the complainant)”, continued the former footballer in front of the police. Asked about another young complainant, the player explained to investigators that she would have agreed to take the morning after pill and that after these “consensual” sexual relations, according to him, they had “relaxed in the living room among friends”, where she “laughed” and “was happy”. The jury was also able to hear his defense about a fourth plaintiff he allegedly raped in his movie theater. “She said she wanted to get to know me better and would like a (serious) relationship with me. I clarified that I was not interested in a relationship and left,” he said. , explaining that he left the room and was retained by this “willing and enthusiastic” woman.
As a reminder, the trial of Benjamin Mendy has been held since August 10 in Chester, England. The 2018 world champion is accused of seven rapes, an attempted rape and a sexual assault by seven women and appears alongside Louis Saha Matturie, accused of six rapes and three sexual assaults. Benjamin Mendy has decided to plead not guilty to all the charges against him and faces life imprisonment at the end of his trial, which must still last a few weeks. For the time being, both remain presumed innocent of the charges against them until the final judgment.
Benjamin Mendy © Agency