In October 2021, Alec Baldwin was filming for the movie Rust. While it seemed to be going well, a tragic event took place when the actor accidentally shot two people from the team. He thought his gun was unloaded and was therefore very surprised and shocked by this terrible accident. A gunshot that caused the death of Halyna Hutchins, the director of photography for the shoot. Subsequently, several complaints were filed against Alec Baldwin, including one very recently, as revealed by Le Parisien this Thursday, February 9. Indeed, the victim’s parents and sister did it in turn, as explained by Gloria Allred, their lawyer. “Halyna was the light of their lives,” she began before adding, “For our three clients, the tragic loss of their daughter and sister is heartbreaking.” A very complicated situation for them. “But on top of this tragedy, they have to try to absorb this loss while living in Ukraine, in the middle of Vladimir Putin’s war”, she continued before giving the floor to Svetlana Zemko, the sister of the victim. “Losing my sister was a terrible experience,” she began before expressing her grief. “I believe giving up and letting this go unpunished is unacceptable,” she concluded.
This story has been talking a lot for several months. Last October, it was Alec Baldwin who explained that he had reached an agreement and this put an end to the civil legal proceedings initiated by Matthew, the widower of Halyna Hutchins. The amount had not been disclosed and the filming of the film was to resume in early 2023. However, these are different comments that were made by Gloria Allred. “The deal was for Matthew and his child and there was no deal for the deceased cinematographer’s mother, father and sister,” she said. Subsequently, the lawyer lamented the fact that the actor did “not even contact the mother and sister of his victim to say he was sorry”, she admits before adding: ” We want justice for them, it’s as simple as that.” As a reminder, Alec Baldwin has claimed his innocence from the start, assuring that he has nothing to do with it. “My career was uneventful,” he said at the Boulder International Film Festival in Colorado, which was held on March 5 and 6, 2022. He then added that he was very shocked by this accident. “I trusted the safety experts on site to say the gun was safe and I never had a problem, and now this accident happened,” he concluded.
Alec Baldwin: ‘I’m not responsible’
During the festival in march 2022, Alec Baldwin had made remarks that did not go unnoticed. He first recalled that weapons are often used during the filming of films and series and these are checked by a team beforehand. “When someone, whose job is to keep a gun safe, hands it over to someone else, whose job is to be the second level of protection for the safety of that gun, and that he sends it to you, you tell yourself that this weapon is safe”, he confided before specifying: “Because you are not authorized, as an actor, to declare the weapon …” . The actor then had a thought for his victim, whom he described as “adorable woman” and who “had talent”. Words he had already made a few months earlier. “I have a feeling that someone is responsible for what happened and I can’t say who it is, but I know it’s not me. I could kill myself if I thought I was responsible “, he had concluded.
Alec Baldwin © Zuma Press