A primary school in Ashford, Surrey has suffered a tragedy due to the spread of an extremely rare bacterium. The Mirror, quoting Ruth Hutchinson, the spokeswoman for the UK Health Security Agency, reports on November 25, 2022 that a primary school pupil has died from the bacteria. Another child is hospitalized. According to the Mirror, the two students probably come from the same class. We learn that the child killed by this rare bacterium was in first grade. The second child who was rushed to hospital with severe symptoms of the same illness appears to be showing positive signs of recovery.

To thwart the ravages of this bacteria that kills young children, health authorities have administered powerful antibiotics to other students and teachers. The bacterium implicated in this tragic situation at Ashford Church of England primary school is “strep A”. Group A strep – GAS has been known to cause a sore throat or rash, reports The Mirror. The bacterium is transmitted by physical contact or by droplets from sneezing or coughing, specifies the British media.

This killer bacteria is present on the skin

Group A streptococcus is a bacterium that can be present on the skin and in the throat of carriers. Reason for which it is possible to be contaminated because of a simple physical contact. Dr Claire Winslade, health protection consultant at UKHSA South East, said information has been provided to parents about the signs and symptoms of acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Anyone with a high fever accompanied by severe muscle aches, pain in one part of the body and unexplained vomiting or diarrhea should call NHS111.

A very rare bacterium invades a primary school, the consequences are dramatic

Ambulance © Pixabay

Maria T.
Maria T.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.